It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Inception discussion (SPOILERS)

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

To make a different thread so that we can discuss it in detail.

I enjoyed this film, it had lots of depth, especially as they kept going in to 'deeper' dream states. The zero gravity sections were very well done as well.

Very thought provoking as well, a bit like the Matrix. Quite enjoyable.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:04 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Inception discussion (SPOILERS)

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
Actually, there's something I didn't get... Why did no grav only go one dream deep?

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:32 am 

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
Skillers wrote:
Actually, there's something I didn't get... Why did no grav only go one dream deep?

The first dream (level 1) was in the van. The second dream (level 2) was in the hotel. When the van went off the bridge, they went into free fall which kills the gravity of level 2, but does not affect them if they are in a dream in level 3.

At least I think that anyway.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:38 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

But if that happens because they are in free fall in state 1 (which feels like no grav) then since they are in no grav in state 2 it should persist further.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:56 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
That's something I thought about also. There is evidence that the kick penetrates through multiple layers of dreams, demonstrated by the avalanche triggered from the van reversing in to the barrier. If something as simple as that can cause an avalanche 2 layers further down then surely the no-grav mutator should persist also?

Oooh... turns out there is an answer that makes perfect sense :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/boa ... #167042283
Quote:
As a matter of fact Chef has it somewhat right. Only the bodies that are in direct contact with the kick feel the difference and notice the environment changing. "ie. weather, zero gravity", since the others levels are deeper, they are not feeling that inertia, therefore not privy to it, since the primary, or upper level subconsciousness is feeling it. If they were to fall in level 4, then level 3 would wake up because , they are directly affected by it, they would not have woken up from level 2. So that explains the point. h

OK. Now for the ending...

I thought it was a little weird that as he spun the totem, he walked away from it after seeing the faces of his kids. Bear in mind, Cobb was ready to shoot himself earlier on in the film when he spun the totem in his hotel room before taking a flight with Saito in the helicopter. It's like he is obsessively paranoid about whether he is in a dream or if he is in 'reality'.

It could be the fact that he has seen his kids faces that he knows for sure it is real. The kids faces never appear in the dream and there is no evidence that he knows exactly what they look like, so maybe his memory/dreams cannot construct them. The fact that he sees their faces proves it is real and he disregards the totem because his children's faces are proof enough.

Alternatively... we could all be being played. Think back to when Ariadne and Cobb were sat outside the restaurant early on in the film. We didn't know that she was dreaming until Cobb asks "how did YOU get here?" - the sudden realisation making her panic and lose control of her dream. How DID she get there? We didn't see her go to the warehouse where she suddenly wakes up... Who is to say that this whole film isn't just a big dream?

Just some of the many ideas that people are having!

My personal opinion is that the ending is 'real'.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:52 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I would lean towards real myself. Another thing is that a recurring thing about dreams is you always start in the middle, but in this one he woke up on the plane, where he would be if it was real.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:06 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Yeah, or as real as we know it.

I love that bit at the end, with that beautiful, powerful music playing, nobody talks but they all just look at each other and the music just seems to narrate everybodys feelings. When Saito picks up the phone and Cobb realises that he kept his memory and 'honoured the arrangement' is a magical moment. Perfect scene.

Music is called "Time" by Hans Zimmer.

Last edited by azcn2503 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:09 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

CRIT MAGNET
CRIT MAGNET
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: jordanowenwynn
It was real personally. The totem was slowing down and beginning to topple over but kept going. In the dreams, the totem continued to spin constantly without showing a sign of slowing down of toppling over.
He also saw his kids faces, and I think the reason he never saw them previously was because he hadn't seen them in real life and thus have been unable to construct them even in a dream.

It was a nice ending regardless, because it still adds the "What if it's not real?" element that keeps teasing the audience.

The music was fantastic as always. Hans Zimmer is awesome.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:11 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Erm, he had definitely seen his kids before IRL, they'd had them for a few years before he had to leave.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:31 pm 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

He did work away from home though. Not really the point I guess...

Main thing is that in his memories he cannot change what has happened. The fact something different happens at the end makes me think it is real.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:53 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Steam Login Name: rct2100
Skillers wrote:
Erm, he had definitely seen his kids before IRL, they'd had them for a few years before he had to leave.

As far as we know anyway... We have no idea whether or not the kids are simply a figment of the imagination. Remember when they are in the house and wake up on the floor? There are no kids there. And I don't know if they would of had that age of children before she topped herself :/

There's no evidence to suggest the children are real. But I guess "Grandpa" is only seen in the real world, where he meets all the other people. I'm more confused as to how everyone knew exactly what the box was, including the random dude at the end...

To be honest, we don't even really know if they guy ends up dissolving the empire O_o And the whole film could be dream because they start in the dream with Old Saiko :S

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:38 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

What is this box you speak of?

Also I just remembered I'm meant to be giving you a key of some sort lol. Just waiting for my friend to mail it to me.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:19 am 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Like the suitcase thingy with the chemicals in it :/

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:33 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Oh, yeah. They live in a world where dream invasion is possible and they are trained to prevent their thoughts from being stolen. As for the random kid on the train and stuff.. well they gave the kid on the train a cash incentive. You can assume they gave instructions.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:45 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: BartmanTaz
I liked it where the blue guys though of attacking the big flying thing from above, oh and also when Luke found out who his dad was.

Voted for and funded by Scottie UK Ltd.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:11 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Scottie wrote:
I liked it where the blue guys though of attacking the big flying thing from above, oh and also when Luke found out who his dad was.

ON TOPIC, please.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:24 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Inception is the one with the blue people or is that James Bond i'm thinking of, the one with the women with 3 breast yeah anywho good films.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:53 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Scottie wrote:
Inception is the one with the blue people

That's Avatar.

Scottie wrote:
or is that James Bond i'm thinking of, the one with the women with 3 breast

That's not James Bond, that's Blade Runner.

Scottie wrote:
yeah anywho good films.

Indeed.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:20 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster

Lord Metritutus wrote:
That's Avatar.

No your close though, it's something like "Smurfette living it large in Ibiza".

Lord Metritutus wrote:
That's not James Bond, that's Blade Runner.

Nope I actually meant Babe in the city.

Lord Metritutus wrote:
Indeed.

Quite.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:17 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Scottie, you have been warned.

azcn2503 wrote:

I love that bit at the end, with that beautiful, powerful music playing, nobody talks but they all just look at each other and the music just seems to narrate everybodys feelings. When Saito picks up the phone and Cobb realises that he kept his memory and 'honoured the arrangement' is a magical moment. Perfect scene.

That the bit on the plane when they got up? Yeah that bit was awesome, with them all thinking and going omg we did it :o Tbh though, Surely the Guy who they implanted the idea too would of recognised Saiko? :/ Considering he said that they were in negotiations to buy them out or something :s

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:47 am 
 Profile E-mail  

DHR-107 wrote:
Scottie, you have been warned.

azcn2503 wrote:

That the bit on the plane when they got up? Yeah that bit was awesome, with them all thinking and going omg we did it :o Tbh though, Surely the Guy who they implanted the idea too would of recognised Saiko? :/ Considering he said that they were in negotiations to buy them out or something :s

Ah, but that's the nature of dreams surely? He's seen their faces, he falls asleep, and has a weird dream with them in it. When he wakes up, they're all still on the plane, he's only seen them for a few minutes. He'd seem like a madman if he started claiming his dreams had been real....or would he? ;)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:50 am 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Yeah but what I mean is, what was on the plane was *real*... And the film gave the impression that Saiko and him knew each other before they got on that plane...

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:52 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

It is rather strange that 2 competing CEO's of the worlds largest energy companies are on the same flight together. These guys aren't the faceless leaders of organisations but the type that are plastered on newspapers and billboards, and Wikipedia of course. That said, what are the chances that Saito isn't actually working for an energy company and more along the lines of Yakuza. Oh wait. Same thing.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:48 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

They might have known each other, though even if they did, it wouldn't be that out of place for them both to be in first class on the same flight.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:51 am 

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

Maybe not. It wasn't his usual private airline so I guess.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:18 am 
 Profile E-mail