It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: Red Alert 3 WorldBuilder

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: rct2100
Well. I finally found the World Builder for RA3. So I'm going to try a rather basic map as my first challenge using the quite confusing map creator tools.

I got the main idea from a map called Desert Spire from SW: Force Commander. It was a skirmish map designed for four players, so I'm going to try and stick to that sort of scenario. Basically, the map was mostly flat with a huge spire in the centre as the set peice. Around the spire were 4 Bunkers (The way to get money in FC). Which I'll simply replace with Ore Mines. The map also had single bunkers behind the players base, and bunkers in the centre of each edge. That totals to 12 ore mines in total on the map. However, the only problem of converting it almost directly is in the Navel units in RA3. Seeing as there were no navel units on FC, there wasnt any need for water. In RA3 however, there is almost a necessity for water on maps as some of the most powerful units are boats. With this in mind, I made some changes to the original concept of the map, but made a decision that while it may give the soviets an advantage, the outer fringes of a base would be able to be bombed by Dreadnoughts, but a HQ qould be set too far back and be safe from damage.

KEY:
Purple blob - The central spire and set peice
Red blobs - Ore deposits (Might add or decrease these as needed to make the map easier/harder)
Blue blocks - Water bodies. Obviously, they are close enough to bases to warrent expansion onto them, but are far enough away to keep dreadnoughts back.
Cyan lines - rivers (or water bodies) that connect the main bodies of water together and act as choke points.
Grey lines - Bridges. Without these some normal non amphibious units wouldn't be able to make it into the central battle area, but of course you can still walk around the outside of the water if you want to.
Numbers - refer to start points for players (this need not be 1234 but I fingured numbers would be easier for me in the long run)

Obviously the main idea of the map is to expand quick enough to the centre where the main resources are lying before anyone else, while being in keeping with a difficult to defend base. I might add other sensible additions like observation posts and oil derricks in at a later date to see how that affects gameplay.

Any ideas on how to improve it now? Its a very basic design I know, but it is my first map ^^

Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:54 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Red Alert 3 WorldBuilder

Unstoppable
Unstoppable
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: gozzer25
For a first map I think its a pretty good idea. I would suggest at first just messing around with the tools for a while though. Create some different sized maps, try adding water, raise the ground in places etc etc. Just get the general hang of things before trying to make the actual map itself.

Good luck, it seems like an achievable map for a first go but sounds like it would play well as well.

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:02 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Dominating
Dominating
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: De4dW0lf
Very nice design, good luck making it.

If you get it finished I'd be happy to test/play on it :)

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:02 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I've already edited it a little, with the brigdes now appearing along the centre of each edge, and the only places where aquatic units can cross is at each corner. The Central Ore nodes are now at 45 degrees to how they are in this image, and ive doubled all the rest up (So 2 behind each base and 2 in each middle section on the perimeter).

Also, the water is now a ring instead of having connecting rivers, so a naval attack is more possible around the entire map. due to the height of the spike in the centre, there are some graphical problems, which Ive mostly rectified. There are also some issues with the map appearing ingame as it having no textures. This is not true as the map is textured in a desert/beach texture. For some reason the ingame map selection screen picks up the water and the starting points, but the majority of the rest of the map is black (or darkly textured). I have no idea why this happens as of yet.

Should be complete enough to test with other people soon though :)

Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:01 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Dominating
Dominating

Steam Login Name: De4dW0lf
w00t,
i better get some practice in so u dont pwn me on it :P

Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:41 am 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

Right... hopefully when I get a bit more free time at the end of Jan, beginning of Feb I should be able to finish this off... :)

Sorry its taking so long, I just havent had a lot of time recently lol

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:09 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Monster Poster
Monster Poster

Steam Login Name: De4dCh1ck3n
Maybe, If Its A Dat When people Dont Need my Router, We Can Test It :)

20:28 - [TCHS] Nannal DVORAK!: Down with met, nannal for mod!

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:58 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

GO GO POWER MODERATOR!
GO GO POWER MODERATOR!

This program is horrifically complex to use correctly :/ I have graphical glitches still (even after lowering the height of the main spire).

Other bugs currently include "Un transversable terrain" acting like Water to Sea Wings (The splash into and out of the spire in the centre), but units cannot travel upon it. Might just be a flying unit bug. Water currently has no texture beneath it, so it is the same colour as the rest of the map (Not useful as you cannot determine where the water lies)

Some of the ore refineries are too close to the edges, so the green template doesnt work/Doesnt allow construction.

Empire Dock glitch lets you select a place where it can't unfurl to unfurl (it gets to place and then goes "Cannot deploy here")

Bridges are currently selectable and destructable. I might make them un selectable, but they will be damageable. They can be repaired by engineers, units can cross them. Unfortunate movement glitch makes it so if there are units blocking the ramp, the units behind get stuck in their move animation and the units infront do not move out of the way.

I may modify the value of ore in the ore nodes (If I can work out how) so they give 50k ore instead of 30. This is because the map tends to favour rushers/turtlers more than other forms of combat. If I dont I will possible add more ore nodes to the map (I replaced the 4 in the middle with Oil Derricks because of the angles that buggered up if I used Ore nodes :/ )

umm... Other than that sort of thing... I guess its ok xD Im working on fixing some of the more minor bugs, but I have no idea how to fix the graphics glitch.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:22 am 
 Profile E-mail