It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post Post subject: TCHS Dust - what do you want to see?

Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Right, apparantly because I'll be lynched if I don't get the next version out soon, I want your thoughts.

Currently on the agenda:

*'Sandy' sand (ie displacements, etc)
*Background sounds
*Decent skybox
*HDR
*NO BLOODY POSSESSED CRATES (so far no compile has been without at least one. All unintentional).

What do you want to see in it?

Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:11 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: TCHS Dust - what do you want to see?

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: markusjameswynn
1) buy sniper rif;e

2) move 2 inches to left

3) scope

4) kill other ppl in other spawn

5) laugh.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:19 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Steam Login Name: azcn2503
I like the version I played on.
I'd like to see some sandy sand and also I think that the bomb-sites could do with being a little closer to the spawn. It's like a cross-country trek to get to one of them (not the one through the tunnels - that's a really good one).
I like the bomb site with all the boxes dotted around... awesome cover. Had some great fights there with Azraeleus.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:34 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Steam Login Name: Skillers1990
1) Bug fixes. You've listed quite a few of them - HDR and random crates and textures. Also, there are some gaps that are just a bit too small to get through, there's one between a crate and a wall near T spawn.

2) Lighting - the lighting in some areas needs improvement, especially inside the buildings.

3) Change the big bomb site a bit, currently I think the stairs are a bit too big, and I'm not particularly fond of the perfect symmetry.

4) A second entrance to the small bomb site.

5) No spawn killing. I know you've fixed this, but just to say that it's only Markus who wants it.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:12 pm 

Intentions then:

1. Rework B.
2. Spam buildings in centre with lights.
3. Re-work centre.
4. Second entrance is already planned for A.
5. There is actually no symmetry. :P It just looks similar.

Also considering a 'Wynney containment unit' that locks onto his specific steam id.

/jk

Any other suggestions?

Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:22 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

no insta spawn killing.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:43 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

That was fixed ages ago :/

Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:46 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

no it has not been, i have played the updated versions. i am capable of moving two steps to my left in spawn....

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:38 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

There is no insta-spawn killing.

However, it is very quick and easy for both teams to make contact, and I wish to address this issue.

Hence remaking the center, again.

I was thinking something along the lines of killing the market idea, and instead using the building prefab I made to make lots of narrow alley-ways in some sort of shanty-town type thing. Lots of condensed close quarters combat that would require coordination.

What do you think?

Also, I'm going to completely re-work B. I'm going to rework the stairs, possibly into raised levels, and make the paths to B have more cover, and be less open for sniping-fests, especially where the bomb is planted (it's easy to see from the center to there.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:49 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I think changing the centre into some kinda building, or lots of alleyways might be a good idea.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:06 pm 

I was thinking about turning B into some kind of building/temple.

This would mean it is no longer outside, and it would also be a major change.

Would people like that?

Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:35 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I like the temple idea... but it would really need to be done properly and I mean with impeccable attention to detail. I think you could make a whole map based on the inside of a temple to be honest! Good luck to you if you do decide to go down this route and I definitely take my hat/trousers off to you. Good idea basically.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:19 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

A temple kinda thing does sound interesting.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:03 pm 

Hmmm, the separate map idea has me going....

de_pyramid_tchs anyone?

That sound interesting to anyone?

I've actually had a really awesome idea relating to that, but I really must finish Techious Dust.

So, separate map for temple or new map?

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:36 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

One of the first maps I ever made was like a reverse pyramid. I'd like to make something like this again. It was a cs_ mission.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:04 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Ok then, at some point, a pyramid will be...

*adds it to the large list of "to do's"*

Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:08 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

A pyrimid sounds interesting, and de_ would make sense. If play could extend inside and outside, that would be fun.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:37 pm 

Don't worry, I already have plans regarding the map. ;)

Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:48 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I get this problem when looking out of the windows in buildings (happens from inside any of the buildings) but also when using the sniper scope so it's probably my integrated graphics not playing ball.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:39 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Nope, you're quite right, it was a bug.

It took a while to find out (googling and posting on hlfallout), but it seems I was using model textures rather than proper map textures (they all seem to be in the texture window).

There's a way to tell them apart, but I can't remember what it is.

You can have two textures that look the same, but one of them is the model texture and one is the other.

Anyway, I've since fixed that problem. :)

With the next version, I've got some displacements on the sand, but due to my inexperience, it might look a bit crap. That's what subsequent versions of the map are for. :P

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:08 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Godlike Poster
Godlike Poster

I'd like to see an intermediate beta map ;)

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:52 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

de_pyramid_css already exists. a nice map as well, what with being a de map. cs maps are horrific...

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:16 am 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

Ah, so you finally fixed that crazy blackness!

And Wynney, just because a map already exists, doesn't mean you can't make another around the same idea with a different layout (*cough*dust2*cough*).

Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:02 pm 

Eagle Eye (Mod)
Eagle Eye (Mod)

most version of dust 2 suck (especially unlimited....!!!) original ftw.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:15 pm 
 Profile E-mail  

Top Gun (Admin)
Top Gun (Admin)

I was on about dust->dust2, same concept, different layout completely.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:25 pm